Do you need a custom domain name for your website? It is an excellent question. Before we look at the answer, let’s first answer the questions:
What is a Domain Name?
Domain names function much the same as a street address. Instead of directing a person to a house, a domain name directs a web browser to a website. A domain name is text based and helps visitors remember your website without having to rely on bookmarks or notes. This helps with how easily your website spreads via word of mouth, and the likelihood of it being remembered.
What is a Subdomain?
The alternative to a custom domain name is a subdomain. A subdomain is usually free, and “piggybacks” off of someone else’s domain name. For example, Page Guru offers a free subdomain, but it is limited to <your-business-here->.page.guru. Subdomains are great if you want to try something out, or get started right away at minimal cost. However, custom domain names offer several advantages over subdomains.
Benefits of Domain Names over Subdomains
- You own it! A custom domain name stays with you. You can move your website anywhere you want. If you decide it is time to switch hosts, you can create a new website somewhere else, and update your domain name to point to it. Your visitors will always find you.
- Custom domain names keep the focus on your business and brand. Subdomains focus on your web tools, not your business. A subdomain, such as you-business-name.page.guru, puts the focus on page.guru, not your business. You want to minimize the chances of someone confusing your business’s brand with that of your web tools. You want the memory of your brand to be undiluted.
- You can use your custom domain name in your email addresses. People will associate your email addresses with your domain name, and your business. An email address created with your domain name will gain trust from potential customers because the email address is directly associated with your business, rather than a gmail or other generic email address which anyone could create.
- A custom domain name boosts your image. Potential customers will assume you can’t afford, or are unwilling to register a custom domain name for your business. You want your business to appear serious and professional.
- A custom domain name allows you flexibility. You can create your own subdomains to highlight certain content, such as blog.yourdoman.com or specials.yourdomain.com. Your brand remains undiluted while making it easier for visitors to reach specific content.
- Custom domain names are an excellent investment. Generally starting at around 20 dollars per year, the benefits far outweigh the cost.
Ultimately, it is about an undiluted brand that you control. Making it easier for search engines and visitors alike to find your business, as well as facilitating correspondence with customers is the most important aspect of having an online presence. Given the affordable cost of a custom domain name, the decision to maximize the professionalism and image of your business is an easy one.
Page Guru offers both subdomain and custom domain name options during the signup process. If you already have a custom domain, we are happy to connect it for you. Register today.